The Selection Utility is a lightweight Unity tool that facilitates selecting GameObjects in the Scene view by displaying a context menu with all objects currently under the mouse cursor as a popup list.
• Works with 3D, 2D, and UI objects
• Highlights hovered 3D and 2D objects with a colored outline (only the builtin render pipeline is supported for now).
• Scrollable list, can handle hundreds of entries
• Does not interfere with regular scene controls (camera pan, zoom, etc)
• Respects Unity's builtin selection features (e.g. locked layers)
• Search by name or component type
• Filter toggles to show only 3D, 2D, or UI objects
• Component icons to identify objects easily
• Prefabs are indicated in blue
• Looks good in Unity's light and dark skin
• Source code included
• Customize the filter tabs: add, remove or replace the filtering with a simple API call
• Hide icons by their type (e.g. Transform)
• Global enabled flag
• Click dead zone (e.g. touchpad & accessibility)
• Search field toggle
• Toggle filter toolbar
• Configure outline color
Why do I need this?
This tool improves the default selection methods in Unity. Trying to find a GameObject in a long list within the Hierarchy window can be difficult, since names may not be perfectly descriptive for all use-cases (e.g. props are named Rock_00, Rock_01, etc). Often, it is easier to find objects by their position and context in the Scene view. However, since Unity also considers invisible and overlapping objects, it can require many clicks until the desired target is selected. With Selection Utility the same can be accomplished in typically two clicks, but it also supports a search within the spatial context of the mouse pointer.